New Moon Tea Co. is located in British Columbia, Canada, which means that naturally, we source our herbs for our teas from local Canadian growers. We are proud to be able to source locally, support families, farms and communities directly, and reduce our overall carbon footprint by supporting our local environments.
About Sourcing Locally:
Sourcing locally serves many benefits including:
- reduced impact on the environment by cutting out the middleman, this ensures that all herbs are of the highest quality possible, and that we are supporting farmers, their families, and communities directly, without any costs being cut along the way.
- By sourcing locally we are also contributing to reduced emissions and energy usage, which is more sustainable, less taxing on the natural environment, and more supportive to our local communities and ecosystems.
- Sourcing locally supports our local farmers and families directly by making it possible for them to put their earnings back into their farms, feed their families, and keep money within their communities.
- Sourcing locally ensures a higher quality herbal product, as it lets us as consumers know exactly where our herbal teas come from, and what was put into producing, harvesting and drying them.
- Sourcing locally gives us as consumers a better awareness of where our remedies and medicines come from, which benefits our overall health and wellbeing.
- and so much more!
One of the main farms we at New Moon Tea Co source our herbs from is the chickadee herb farm, which is located in a small farming community in Alberta, which is just a province over from us!
About Chickadee Herb Farm:
Chickadee herb farm is a small, second generation family farm.
Chickadee Farms main mission is to produce ethical, sustainable, organic, and high quality herbal teas and culinary herbs, while working in harmony with the land and forests around them. They make an effort to only sell herbs that they have ethically wildcrafted in their local area, or grown sustainably in their gardens. Chickadee herb farm makes a conscious effort to reduce their environmental impact by using rainwater for watering their gardens when they can, living and working off-grid and using solar as their main source of electricity, and repairing and reusing things as much as possible! They also keep sheep, goats and an alpaca to graze the land, opposed to solely using equipment that runs off of fossil fuels to cut the grass.
When sourcing herbs and goods, whether that be in bulk, or smaller amounts for consumption, please consider sourcing locally in order to reduce environmental impact, support families and communities directly, and ensure you are supporting and getting the best quality there is!
Written by; Violet Johnson for New Moon Tea Co.